Friday, September 18, 2009

2009 Emmy Predictions

Here are a couple Emmy Predictions for Sunday. I'm mostly going to be watching the game but I'll be flipping back and both. I made a couple bold predictions, but I'm confident in my picks.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
* Alec Baldwin for playing Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock (NBC)
* Steve Carell for playing Michael Scott on The Office (NBC)
* Jemaine Clement for playing Jemaine on Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
* Jim Parsons for playing Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
* Tony Shalhoub for playing Adrian Monk on Monk (USA)
* Charlie Sheen for playing Charlie Harper on Two and a Half Men (CBS)
My Pick: Jemaine Clement for playing Jemaine on Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
I making a bold prediction here. Probably the hardest one call but the Emmys tend to have one big upset. People are saying Jim or Alec have this, but Jemaine is the man playing himself.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
* Christina Applegate for playing Samantha "Sam" Newly on Samantha Who? (ABC)
* Toni Collette for playing Tara Gregson on United States of Tara (Showtime)
* Tina Fey for playing Liz Lemon on 30 Rock (NBC)
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus for playing Christine Campbell on The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)
* Mary-Louise Parker for playing Nancy Botwin on Weeds (Showtime)
* Sarah Silverman for playing Sarah Silverman on The Sarah Silverman Program (Comedy Central)
My Pick: Tina Fey for playing Liz Lemon on 30 Rock (NBC)
Not much to say here, another repeat is in Tina's future.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
* Simon Baker for playing Patrick Jane on The Mentalist (CBS)
* Gabriel Byrne for playing Dr. Paul Weston on In Treatment (HBO)
* Bryan Cranston for playing Walter White on Breaking Bad (AMC)
* Michael C. Hall for playing Dexter Morgan on Dexter (Showtime)
* Jon Hamm for playing Don Draper on Mad Men (AMC)
* Hugh Laurie for playing Dr. Gregory House on House (Fox)
My Pick: Bryan Cranston for playing Walter White on Breaking Bad (AMC)
He is by far one of the best actors on television. Walter White had one incredible journey this season, Bryan Cranston has done one hell of a job portraying him. Jon Hamm could pull it out, but I don't believe it'll happen.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
* Glenn Close for playing Patricia "Patty" Hewes on Damages (FX)
* Sally Field for playing Nora Walker on Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
* Mariska Hargitay for playing Olivia Benson on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC)
* Holly Hunter for playing Grace Hanadarko on Saving Grace (TNT)
* Elisabeth Moss for playing Peggy Olson on Mad Men (AMC)
* Kyra Sedgwick for playing Brenda Leigh Johnson on The Closer (TNT)
My Pick: Glenn Close for playing Patricia "Patty" Hewes on Damages (FX)
Glenn Close was unstoppable, nothing more to say about it.

Outstanding Drama Series
Big Love (HBO) - Breaking Bad (AMC) - Damages (FX) - Dexter (Showtime)
House (Fox) - Lost (ABC) - Mad Men (AMC)
My Pick: Breaking Bad
I'm looking for the upset here. All of these shows have been strong, however, I believe Breaking Bad was flawless last season. If they don't pull it out, Mad Men will win, but lets hope that doesn't happen.

Outstanding Comedy Series
30 Rock (NBC) - Entourage (HBO) - Family Guy (Fox) - Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - The Office (NBC) - Weeds (Showtime)
My Pick: 30 Rock
I'm playing it SUPER safe here. I think 30 Rock has it. HOWEVER, I would LOVE Flight of the Conchords or How I Met Your Mother to win, but 30 Rock is just a powerhouse and I don't think it could be stopped.

Quick Picks:
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series -
Michael Emerson for playing Benjamin Linus on Lost (ABC)
Despite how strong Aaron Paul was on Breaking Bad, I think this is Michael's year.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series -
Neil Patrick Harris for playing Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
Barney Stinson will finally...wait for it...win his Emmy!

No comments: