Sunday, September 20, 2009

Emmy Prediction Recap

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
* Alec Baldwin for playing Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock (NBC)
* Steve Carell for playing Michael Scott on The Office (NBC)
* Jemaine Clement for playing Jemaine on Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
* Jim Parsons for playing Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
* Tony Shalhoub for playing Adrian Monk on Monk (USA)
* Charlie Sheen for playing Charlie Harper on Two and a Half Men (CBS)
My Pick: Jemaine Clement for playing Jemaine on Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
End Result: Alec Baldwin for playing Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock (NBC)
No surprise here. I was willing to go big and I got punished.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
* Christina Applegate for playing Samantha "Sam" Newly on Samantha Who? (ABC)
* Toni Collette for playing Tara Gregson on United States of Tara (Showtime)
* Tina Fey for playing Liz Lemon on 30 Rock (NBC)
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus for playing Christine Campbell on The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)
* Mary-Louise Parker for playing Nancy Botwin on Weeds (Showtime)
* Sarah Silverman for playing Sarah Silverman on The Sarah Silverman Program (Comedy Central)
My Pick: Tina Fey for playing Liz Lemon on 30 Rock (NBC)
End Result: Toni Collette for playing Tara Gregson on United States of Tara (Showtime)
Very out of the blue, but a friend did recommend to watch US of Tara, now I might have to.


Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
* Simon Baker for playing Patrick Jane on The Mentalist (CBS)
* Gabriel Byrne for playing Dr. Paul Weston on In Treatment (HBO)
* Bryan Cranston for playing Walter White on Breaking Bad (AMC)
* Michael C. Hall for playing Dexter Morgan on Dexter (Showtime)
* Jon Hamm for playing Don Draper on Mad Men (AMC)
* Hugh Laurie for playing Dr. Gregory House on House (Fox)
My Pick: Bryan Cranston for playing Walter White on Breaking Bad (AMC)
End Result: Bryan Cranston for playing Walter White on Breaking Bad (AMC)
Such a no brainer here. He completely OWNS that role.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
* Glenn Close for playing Patricia "Patty" Hewes on Damages (FX)
* Sally Field for playing Nora Walker on Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
* Mariska Hargitay for playing Olivia Benson on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC)
* Holly Hunter for playing Grace Hanadarko on Saving Grace (TNT)
* Elisabeth Moss for playing Peggy Olson on Mad Men (AMC)
* Kyra Sedgwick for playing Brenda Leigh Johnson on The Closer (TNT)
My Pick: Glenn Close for playing Patricia "Patty" Hewes on Damages (FX)
End Result: Glenn Close for playing Patricia "Patty" Hewes on Damages (FX)
Once again, I didn't expect any different.

Outstanding Drama Series
Big Love (HBO) - Breaking Bad (AMC) - Damages (FX) - Dexter (Showtime)
House (Fox) - Lost (ABC) - Mad Men (AMC)
My Pick: Breaking Bad
End Result: Mad Men
Once again, I went bold but I was no surprised by the win. I thought Breaking Bad had a flawless season and I guess Mad Men had a Flawlesser season....???

Outstanding Comedy Series
30 Rock (NBC) - Entourage (HBO) - Family Guy (Fox) - Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
How I Met Your Mother (CBS) - The Office (NBC) - Weeds (Showtime)
My Pick: 30 Rock
End Result: 30 Rock
I want to say, that even though I picked 30 Rock to win, I hoped that Flight of the Conchords would take it...Which brings me to my next point...How do you not win for that excellent song "Carol Brown"!?!? That tune was stuck in my head for days after I saw the episode!

Quick Picks:
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series -
Michael Emerson for playing Benjamin Linus on Lost (ABC)
End Result: Michael Emerson for playing Benjamin Linus on Lost (ABC)
This was pick that every thought Aaron Paul would win. Aaron Paul was great, but Michael plays it so well that many people are actually scared to talk to him! That is how you play a role.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series -
Neil Patrick Harris for playing Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
End Result: Jon Cryer for playing Alan Harper on Two and a Half Men (CBS)
How the Fuck did this happen!?! Piven leaves the category and Cryer takes over?? Disappointment...

Final Result: 4/8
Overall, the Emmys were WAY better than last years. Yet, very predictable...One complaint though: No Billy Mays in the 'In Remembrance' montage? Come on..Man!

No comments: